The Catamaran inception was by the Prout Brothers on Canvey Island in Essex and the early experimental craft were literally 2 kayaks straped together. The video that follows has some early footage of these craft and some great modern day cat sailing clips. See the video for more early facts such as:
- Concept was by the 1952 Olympian Prout Brothers from Essex.
- Catamaran means tied logs.
- Initial reception from some of the sailing fraternity was not always enthusiastic.
- Cat sailing setting the modern speed records.
- Much of this footage is filmed at Stone Sailing Club on the River Blackwater in Essex.
If the above video doesn’t work, then simply follow this link – Shearwater Catamaran Documentary.
For more recent Cat sailing video clips see:
If the above video doesn’t work, then simply follow this link – Shearwaters 2011.